Monday, August 14, 2006

ENTERTAINING ANGELS

The last couple of weeks have been difficult to say the least. Two months ago, my mom's dear friend, Sandy or as her grandkids call her Sassy, was diagonosed with colon cancer. Two weeks later, she underwent surgery to remove three feet of her intestines. The doctor who performed the surgerical procedure told her that her conditon required no further treatment just strict monitoring for the time being. Sandy got a second opinion and went to see an oncologist who prescribed chemotherapy orally. She had been taken the chemo pill for two weeks when she became severly dehydrated and had to be hospitalized. She had to be put on a ventilator and the nurse inserted a feeding tube. There were hopeful times when we thought that she would pull through it.

We were baffled here on earth;however, God in heaven was carrying out His master plan. On the morning of July 31, 2006, an angel came to visit Sandy and carried her to her eternal home. Here on earth, we are sad. We miss her. She was survived by her two children and three grandchildren in whom will carry on this lovely lady's legacy. Melinda said that she has big shoes to fill. She does indeed. I asked my Mom, "Why did God take Miss Sandy? "She exuded joy". Here on earth, joy is scarce,but in Heaven joy is abounding. Here on earth, we are weeping and mourning the loss of a precious mother and friend. In heaven, they are rejoicing.

At Sandy's funeral, my best friend's dad who is the preacher of that church, read from Miss Sandy's beloved book, the Bible. It had been well read. He read a message that she had jotted down in the margin. He read, "My quest for joy ends with Jesus". She had a heart that was totally at peace with God. Mr. Winter spoke of Miss Sandy with high regard. "She had a special way of tapping into the emotional hurts of others". She certainly did. She has helped and supported me immeasurably in all that I ever did or could imagine. She was one of my biggest fans. She will truly be missed until the day that we see each other again in heaven.

In my own selfishness, it is hard to lose someone who unwaveringly cheered me on and was always in my corner. I was saddened when I suddenly realized that Miss Sandy who was like a second mom to me, would not be here to celebrate my wedding day or the birth of my children. I would have loved for her to be here for all of that. I cannot help, but think that losing Miss Sandy would have been made a little easier had she been here to offer her inner strength. She was full of life and vitality. She had many friends and she never met a stranger. Her door was always open. She always had time to listen and pray with anyone. She was a rare person who willingly gave of herself. Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it". She lived out "The Great Commission". Matthew 28:20 says, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of th Son and of the Holy Spirit, and leading them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age".

Now she has had the sunset of her life. Her brilliant colors have been left behind to comfort us. She led an exemplary life. She has and always will be someone who I will always deeply admire and highly respect. She seemed to take everything in stride. 2 Timothy 4:7 says, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept my faith". I just finished reading, "One Tuesday Morning" by Karen Kingsbury and as I was reading I thought about Miss Sandy because the book's theme is how one life can profoundly affect another even through death. Miss Sandy profoundly affected my life in so many ways.

The last time I ever saw her, she was lying in a hospital bed hooked up to machines and my Mom let her know that I was there to visit. She opened her eyes and smiled at me. I am waiting for a rush of good memories. There are many times when Miss Sandy has been there for me sympathizing with my struggles and rejoicing in my triumphs. Her earthly body is in its final resting place, but her spirit is with the Lord. Phillippians 1:21 says, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain". She has left her imprint on many hearts. Once someone wrote anonymously, "Some people come into our lives, leave footprints in our hearts, and we are never ever the same". This quote so reminds me of Miss Sandy. Her legacy lives on, here on earth. I know without a shadow of a doubt, she has gone to her mansion in the sky. She is walking on the streets of gold with glad jubilation praising God Almighty and entertaining angels.

I know that Miss Sandy would have liked for us to remember her in life instead of death. This song shows that death does not have to have the final word. She lived a life that was completely sold out for Jesus Christ and now she is in heaven enjoying eternal life victoriously.

"Brad Paisley - When I Get Where I am Going"

When I get where I'm goin'
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

2nd Verse

I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop 'a rain

Chorus

Yeah, when I get where I'm goin'
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah, when I get where I'm goin'
Don't cry for me down here

3rd Verse

I'm gonna walk with my Grandaddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I've missed him
Every minute since he left
And then I'll hug his neck

(Repeat Chorus)

Bridge

So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
And so much work to do

Tag Chorus

But when I get where I'm goin'
And I see my Maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of His amazing grace
Yeah, when I get where I'm goin'
(Oh when I get where I'm goin')
There'll be only happy tears
(I love you, yeah)
I will love and have no fear
(Yeah, when I get where I'm goin')
Yeah, when I get where I'm goin'



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...Leah, you have such a way with words. Loved the scriptures that backed up your thoughts.

The Ichthyophile said...

Dying is a part of life but it's not the end. It is a fulfillment. A time when your work here is done and to rest for the glory that is ahead.

About Me

My photo
I am a work in progress. I enjoy sharing an extension of myself through writing.